Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sunday Music

Hello, friends. I haven't had a chance to post this week because, for the most part, I have been in a monastery.

That's right. A monastery.

Conception Abbey in northwestern Missouri is a Benedictine community whose motto comes from an excerpt from the Rule of St. Benedict: Receive all visitors as though they are Christ. The gracious brothers and fathers at the monastery did just that. I'll post more on that soon.

In the spirit of contemplation, here is a Gregorian "Gloria Patri" chant. If you're wondering what the correlation between "Gregorian" and "Benedictine" is, you've come to the right place. St. Benedict lived long before St. Gregory (for whom the Abbot, or leader, of Conception Abbey is named--we celebrated the Feast of St. Gregory this weekend, as well). However, Gregory, who essentially invented the method for writing and reading music that we use to this day, was also a biographer of St. Benedict, and much of what we know of St. Benny comes from the writings of St. Greg. Anyway, enough with the monk trivia. Here's your first dose of music.


I'm sorry I do not have more music for you--I tried to limit my amount of contact with the outside world while I was in the Abbey. However, on our way home, my friend Mark and I did listen to some music by popular mystical bands that I thought was appropriate.

Here's a rant about Evangelical Christianity by mewithoutYou:



And a song derived from the Divine Liturgy of the Eastern Orthodox Church by The Psalters. This is "Trisagion." Agios o Theos, Agios, ischyros. Agios athanatos, eleison imas.



Peace be with you,

Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment