Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday is Music Day!

I've decided to attempt to start a weekly Sunday post about the music I've been into lately. I love music, and in many ways, it helps me connect with God. I hope it can do the same for you.

This week I have a bit of a hodge-podge of artists. Up first:

Listener, the spoken-word musical project of Fayetteville, AR, resident Dan Smith. I first heard about these guys through a "Love, Everyday Joe's" mix that my friend Matt shared with me. Not long after that, I got to meet Dan at a songwriting seminar at the Cornerstone Music Festival, and actually got to hang out for a little while. He's an incredible artist with a penchant for discovering art in the mundane cracks of everyday life.



Curious yet? If you'd like more, check out this tune. It's one of the first songs I ever heard performed by Listener, and also happens to be one of my favorites. This is "The Music That The Angels Do," from their last album, "Return to Struggleville."



Random trivia: Listener's latest work (of sheer brilliance), Wooden Heart, is based--track for track--upon characters from the novel, The Neverending Story.

By the way, I'd like to mention that it's alright for me to share that song--Listener will be performing in my home (the Baptist Student Center) in September, and they sent me a few mp3s as promotional materials. If you enjoyed the music, I hope to see you there!


I'd also like to take a moment to tip my hat to Don Chaffer, the male half of the husband/wife duo Waterdeep.

Don recently released a new solo EP entitled "An Unfinished Tale, Volume 1: Beauty."
While I'm not quite familiar with the music yet, I will say that what I've heard so far has been among Don's best work--and that's saying something. Chaffer has been involved in over a dozen albums, each better than the one before it. If you happen to get the new EP, check out "Everybody Talks About Friends"--it's truly the work of a genius.

It's also worth getting the "Cotton Edition" (you get a t-shirt!) of the album from Waterdeep's website. Or at least the "Literary Edition," which includes unreleased songs, as well as recordings of Don reading two of his poems.

And speaking of Don Chaffer, we have a mostly Waterdeep lineup for our chapel service at the Baptist Student Center this week:


Just thought you might be interested.

Peace and the love of Christ be with you,

Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment