Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas and yada yada yada...

I'm back! It's been a long couple weeks for Alyssa and me, but we survived the holiday season, and we're finally settling back down into our routine. Let me bring you up to speed in a really brief, poorly written summary of my life for the last half-a-month...

About three weeks ago, we started moving out of our home at the BSC and into our new residence at Broadway Books & Roasting Company. That's right, we moved into a coffee house. You never realize how much crap you own until you have to truck it all, bit by bit, a few blocks down the street and up three flights of stairs.

But we're excited for our new home, and we're beginning to make future plans for Anavah House to remain in Cape Girardeau.

We visited Alyssa's family in Wentzville over the Christmas holiday, returned to Cape for a night, and then spent a week with my family in Williamsville. My old friend Randy also came along.

I got a ton of books for Christmas, from both families. I'm especially excited about the graphic novel version of "Howl," by Allen Ginsberg, Richard Foster's Celebration of Discipline (I want to use it as a study for the residents of Anavah House when we first get off the ground), John Howard Yoder's The Politics of Jesus (my first Yoder book! I'm so excited!), and Jesus and the Disinherited, by Howard Thurman. It has been said that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., carried a copy of this last book on him at all times.



My brother-in-law and his wife also got me a quirky personal finance book that teaches better fiscal responsibility over six weeks. I thought it could come in handy with Anavah House--I think everyone that knows me can attest to the fact that I'm lousy with numbers. I am, after all, a creative writing major and seminary student.

I was sick for the majority of the break, but have been getting better since going to the doctor last week.

While in Williamville, we also picked up another cat (the brother of So-So, the cat we got over Thanksgiving break), which we named Yare (Yah-ree). He's named after the Hebrew word for "fearful," or "afraid." He hides all the time!

Now that we're back in Cape, we're going through training with BBRC in order to become baristas (and, eventually, managers). This morning, we learned how to "pull a shot," i.e. make a shot of espresso. That was cool. I'm looking forward to learning everything I can about this place while I'm here.

In the meantime, Alyssa and I have been tidying the nest, finding a place for everything. We've also gone vegetarian, so we'll hopefully be posting some delicious recipes we've been trying lately.

Over the next few days, I'll be revisiting each of these new developments and posting about them a little more in-depth, so check back here each night for more information!

Peace,

Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment